Saturday, April 4, 2009

Updates from the Land of Eternal Heat










Well, yesterday morning's temperature actually started at something approaching comfortable. It was 83F in my room in the morning. People kept saying during class that they almost used a sheet that morning. Almost, but not. It then proceeded to warm up what felt like 20 degrees during our walk to school.


Now, to the pre-written stuff.


Ok, so it is somewhere in the middle of week two in Pespire. I think I am starting to acclimate to the heat, at least a little bit. That doesn’t mean that I am not sweating an awful lot still. I am drinking plenty of fluids though, so I am not worried about dehydration. They have to buy drinking water here, so occasionally I feel really bad about how much I drink, but I really do need that water to remain healthy.

So, the futbol game on Friday. There was a large crowd that gathered in the local hotel. The top floor is this open studio type thing. There is a roof overhead, but the walls are half-wall, so there was a lot of ventilation. They had the game on a large flat screen as well as showing through a projector. Well, I didn’t think that Honduras played all that well. To my eyes it appeared that after they got a their goal, they played it safe, more trying to waste time than play to win and get more goals. Then at the last minute of regular time, the other team scored and tied the game. It was a shame really. I even got to watch the USA game when I got home. Now, that game was really exciting from start to finish because there were a lot of chances both ways. In the second half, the US was down 2-0, and I decided to go to bed because it's hard to come back from a two goal deficit in soccer. But then my family (my host sister was with me but the rest of the family was away) came back and the US had scored a goal after I turned the TV off. Since it was now more competitive and my brother was watching, I stayed up for a while to watch the rest of the game. The US came back in a 2-2 tie by the way. Both the US and Honduras are playing again later today (separate games). This should be interesting because I will be able to watch it with my family and hopefully get some Spanish going throughout the game.

Hmm, Sunday was kind of a boring game. I had bought a skirt here Saturday to help combat the heat. So, Sunday my sister and I went to church (my mom was away again). I wore my skirt to church, and brought a fan I made out of my stationary paper. This church was built by the Spaniards, and had little air movement. Those few times when the breeze came through the church felt amazing. How people can wear old-fashioned dresses and attend services is a mystery to me. I was melting in skirt and blouse. I didn’t understand most of the Mass; the padre used a microphone that was pretty static-y. After church was really funny. There was a travelling bible salesman there and he was giving away these posters of the benediction of Hogar (I’m not Catholic so although I think the name is the same name, I am not sure (note from Mom. I was raised Catholic and never heard of Hogar, so doubt this is right!)). But first people had to listen to his speel on the bibles. The one part I remember is “Why is your TV so big and your bible so small?”

The rest of the day we chilled out- wait- bad choice of words, we just tried to stay on this side of boiling all day. I tried to take a nap but it was just too hot. I watched the end of George of the Jungle, with Brandon Frasier, and the beginning of George of the Jungle 2 (without Brandon Frasier). I also watched the end of the Cinderella sequel. Oh, the fun part of Sunday was the morning. I got woken up by my sister coming to tell me breakfast was ready. Then once I got downstairs, she asked me if she had woken me up. She was shocked to find this out; I mean how could anyone be sleeping at 6:45 a.m. on a Sunday morning? Completely threw her for a loop.


Hmm, Monday we had classes. In the afternoon we had an intro day to the theodolite and total station. I had my tutoring session afterwards and my grammar was pretty awful. I was so tired that I kept throwing an “a” in the middle of a lot of sentences when it shouldn’t be there. Oh well. I was tired. I haven’t been sleeping a lot lately.

This morning I had my first Spanish class with my new class. It was okay. I had my second technical interview today. Technical interviews are really easy. It’s just what do you want to do in your two years here, what kind of site would you like? After my volunteer visit I decided to live in a city, so I re-stated that. I said that I could get used to the heat here. While walking back I ran into Luis (training director) and he complained about the heat, and I told him it was a cool day for Pespire and he was a little shocked. That’s how I realized I was getting used to it here. Back to the interview, I kept giving kind of “I don’t care” answers, or “It doesn’t matter.” Then I realized I don’t like it when I get those kinds of answers, so I explained that I was just trying not to expect one thing, so I won’t be disappointed when I get my site. They seemed to understand that answer.

I got a huge plate of food for lunch. It was Honduran style chop suey. Chop suey in the US was developed as a throw anything you like in there, and call it good, and that tradition has been carried on here. It was a huge plate of Chinese-style (sort of) noodles, hot dog pieces, chicken, corn, peppers, onion, and carrots in an odd sauce. I ate all of that huge plate though. So I think I have gained weight since being here, but I am not sure. I used to gauge my weight by how my jeans fit, but here we line-dry our clothes, so they don’t shrink like normal. I can’t use that anymore. A scale was not on the list of things to pack. I keep joking that I am going to be huge by time I leave here because I eat more than my host Dad at every meal.

In the afternoon we started a topography study. A community near here is getting a water system, and we are designing the system. It is really cool to be designing an actual system during training. It wasn’t too hot out today, so we didn’t roast too bad outside.

In other news, I have my Spanish language interview on Thursday. I am a little nervous for some weird reason. At this point I have no doubt that I will pass the intermediate medium level by the end of training. I just am really dying to find out what my level is now. I don’t know if it's because I want to prove to myself that I am learning (although its pretty obvious) or what. Note from Mom again - got intermediate medium (-)! Almost there and 5 more weeks to do it!

Hmm, I guess life is starting to get a little more normal because I can’t think of a lot of things to write about. So, pictures - in backwards order, sorry!

3. Me using the theodolite during my volunteer visit. I am using one now with the topo study as well, and hope that we switch so I can get some experience with the total station as well.

2. Picture of the area around Siguat. You see coffee plants surrounded by banana trees. Coffee grown in shade is worth more than coffee in the sun, so this way they have two crops going at once.

1. Beto drinking from a bag of water. Since they re-use glass bottles here, you normally return them. If you don’t want to return them, it too gets put in a bag and then give you a straw to drink it.

Ok, so my internet day got delayed again, but I should have time tomorrow to go during the day to “prepare for my next charla.” But I will obviously be doing some personal work tomorrow on the computer as well.

Today was another Honduras soccer game. Most (if not all) of the aspirantes went to Juan’s house for the game. This game was definitely a better game for Honduras. They won 3-1 against Mexico. The USA also won 3-1 against Trinidad and Tobago, but I only saw 15 minutes of that game. Argentina got their butts kicked by Bolivia. The paper here has their sports section, but it's really just a soccer section. There is more MLS news in the paper here than in my local paper in the states. I want to get the paper tomorrow because there is going to be a lot of comments on today’s Honduras game. It appeared that the abiltros (refs) were more than a little one-sided, although he did give a Mexican player a red card.

A couple of other things I thought of.

Here, instead of face clothes, they have these things that have a washcloth-like serface, but the other side is like a brillo pad. You may be thinking that would be uncomfortable, but it’s awesome because I can scrub to get all that sweat and dust off me.

There was more, oh, who won the Superbowl XXXIX? I’ll explain more later, after I get the answer.

I might be getting sick in a few days. We were doing the topo study today, and the Spanish teacher that was with us asked this man for a fruit off his tree. This fruit does not exist in the states (or at least not in Maine), but is really good. Next thing we know the family is giving them a ton of them. And, since it was rude not to, I ate a few of them then and there without washing them. I plan on getting sick a lot because to avoid getting sick you really have to wash everything diligently, but the food people sell on the side of the road is so good, that I will eat it and get sick later. As long as I realize this later, I’ll be fine.

I iron a lot here. Because I handwash everything, it is really wrinkly and every morning I iron my shirt for the day, and my pants if necessary. It is definitely more than I ever ironed in the states. But at my last house, I tried to wear a somewhat wrinkly shirt out of the house and my Mother was like “You sure you don’t want to iron that?” So, every day I do some laundry by hand and iron my clothes. I am very domestic. I still haven’t gotten this Mom to teach me how to cook Honduran food though. Good thing I still have 2 months of host families once I leave here.

Hmm, today was a lot like yesterday except for the fact that I was more active in my Spanish class today. I like to joke, and once I get comfortable joking with you in Spanish, I talk a lot. But the thing that I don’t like about the class (other than the fact that it is clear across town) is that there are hammocks hanging right next to the classroom area, and what would you rather be sitting in, a plastic chair or a hammock? They are a bit distracting.

Before I left for the soccer game, my host brother said to me that it's good that I leave time for some fun because all I do here is work. I laughed. Its not 100% true, but neither is it untrue, I do a lot of work. At night if my family isn’t in a talkative mood, I do some work to practice Spanish on my own.

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad!

I should be getting pictures from other people next week, so I will try to post a few new ones later.

Jill

Now, back to the present, I did go to the internet cafe yesterday, but they didn't have electricity. This is more of a problem in the smaller towns, but occasionally it happens here as well.



I made intermediate medium in my language interview. It was a three level jump. I am excited! My language teacher was then trying to tell us we could make advanced by the end of training, but I don't know about that.



I did get the theodolite and total station practice the other day.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Hello there Jill,

My name is Alyssa Cudmore and I am with a volunteer group called Cycles of Change (http://cyclesofchange.wordpress.com/). I was browsing around the internet and found your blog and realized you are working in Honduras as a Peace Corps Volunteer. I was wondering if by any chance you could help us out.

We are a group of eight (including four graduated PCVs) headed through Central America on a 6 month bike tour. While we are heading up through the countries, we will be teaching sustainable agriculture workshops, and working on any projects where we can lend a helping hand/learn something ourselves. As you are presently working in the region, I was wondering if you by any chance had any projects you needed done, a need for some extra instruction, or if not, if you knew of any farming cooperatives, present peace corps volunteers, organizations, or any other contacts we could meet up with while we are down there?

I realize this is quite out of the blue, but I would so appreciate it if you could help us. I cannot thank you enough, Jill and I am very much looking forward to hearing from you!

Most Sincerely,

Alyssa A. Cudmore
503-428-3777
aacudmore@gmail.com
Cycles of Change