Saturday, March 28, 2009

quick update

OK, it's a few days later. I am going to a huge party today for the Honduras versus Trinidad and Tobago soccer game, so I have to keep this short.

Last night I went to a party that was thrown by a couple of the mamas of people in my group. It was so much fun! Once I steal the pics from Becky, I will post a few. I learned how to dance the Punta and Merengue. So much fun, but dancing when it is still over 90F is really hot. I can´t even explain how much fun it was.

Things are progessing here. I get soup a lot although I don´t understand a hot bowl of soup on a hot day. There was some other food related story that I wanted to mention, but I can´t think of it right now.

Hmm, so the hammock is a beautiful thing. Swinging on one on a really hot day is quite the luxuy, because my hammock is in a cooler place that gets a breeze.

A little more on my family here.

My host Mom is Dilma. She is a very sweet, very energetic person. She is a teacher here. My host Dad is an administrator for the police in Teguc. I don´t know my oldest host sisters well. I only saw them for a few hours. I will get to know them better during Semana Santa though. My host sister who lives here is really nice and has a lot of patience with me. Her name is Paola. Today we went shopping together in town because I wanted to buy a skirt. I had read some blogs from volunteers that said that skirts were a bad idea because of unwanted attention. Well, thick jeans at 110F is a bad idea too. My host brother Jorgito (Jorge Junior) is nice. He was kind of timid at first, but once i got that kid talking about soccer, it was all good. He probably has the most patience with my Spanish and speaks the clearest in the family, so i like when he is around.

Um, I think that is all I have to say now. A lot of things are kind of becoming normal, so there may be more that you´d be interested in, but to me they are normal now. Also, please keep in contact. I feel like I write a lot about my life and don´t know how any of you are doing. If you have to, send me an email. I think I can get once a week online time without a problem. Letters take three weeks or more to get here, so if you have already sent letters, I just haven´t received them yet. Monday is mail day though!

No pics today, sorry.

Love you always

Jill

1 comment:

betta said...

We have been reading your adventures with great interest. You seem to be having a interesting time and enjoying. Glad we can be part of your time away. I'm sure your not crazy about the warm weather. Had to wait for Kim to instruct us on how to do this. Hope you are well and keep us posted. Love, Betty & Jack Racon.