Tuesday, January 5, 2010

i{m back in honduras

Hello to all of my loyal followers!

I am writing to you from Honduras, I arrived about a week ago from my short excursion to the States. I am not sure what I wrote last time (and keep in mind I write the blog entries before going to the internet café- it saves money) so here is a recap: My nephew is adorable, I ate a whole lot, flushing toilet paper is weird, we went bowling for my birthday, the pup is going to be trained using the clicker method, and I ate a bunch more. Seriously, every time I had even a little bit of free space in my stomach, I ate another full meal.

Now, how was getting back to Honduras? The overnight was a pain because I was so worried that I was not going to wake up in time (3:30am) that I didn’t sleep so well. I got ripped off by the taxi driver, even though I made him go over 25% lower. Go negotiating skills, and well I stood in front of him and everyone else and said that was ridiculous. This was followed by being ripped off by the bus guy who insisted I had to pay extra for my bag although I have never had to pay extra before.

I only left my house the first few days to buy food and go to parties. I went to my organization’s Christmas party, and then to the host family’s house for New Years.

Today I finally went back to work. Oh, I also finally got my dog back, she was stranded in a village. I see her (and I swear she has bad eye sight) and then when I get closer she is excited to see me, but in her incredibly muddy condition, she gets my very dirty. She got a bath, which didn’t go too badly. Oh, I have to mention that she has grown so much! Two weeks in a puppy’s life is a lot, and she is so much bigger, and she is cute now that she is clean; although I did find a tick on top of a tick later in the afternoon. You just can’t see those things until they are filled with blood.

I met up with some volunteers and ex-volunteers that are visiting. I worked on trying to PLAN out my month, yes, its crazy for Honduras, but I tried to plan. It turns out I will be a little busy this month, which is good, assuming I get the enthusiasm to work. That’s been a bit of a problem lately.

Ok, so bad news. My dog is missing. She escaped. The thing with Honduras is that people steal dogs, so if she escaped, she might have been subsequently stolen. I will keep you updated. I am hoping she comes home when she is hungry.

No comments: