Friday, November 19, 2010

lazy days are here to stay

Hey there folks. Time for another book review:

I just got finished reading Chris Duff's On Celtic Tides. It is an excellent read. In 1996, Chris solo sea kayaked around Ireland. It took him over three months to do it, and he wrote a very nice book about it. This book calls out to those who have the adventurous spirit, fierce independence, a love of water, or kayaking, and those who are interested in learning more about Ireland. I give it 5 stars.

At one point he quotes John Dunne, "No man is an island." Chris then goes on about how sometimes a solitary adventure brings you closer to those you love. I agree with this. Now, for the last several years, I have been living away from home (college, grad school, and now the Peace Corps) but even here, I find myself thinking about my family and friends a lot. Without all the distractions of surviving a normal life, there is a lot of down time to self-exam and think about those you love. Now, there can be too much self-examination as well, but thinking about family gives you strength to continue, because those people (and I write that my closest friends are family to me) have given you the ability to do this. They have shared their dreams with you and given you the inner strength to continue through the hard times.

So, to all of you who have made me who I am, I thank you.

Still being in the reading mood, I reread all the letters that have been sent to me in Honduras. Yes, I still have them all. They are out of order and most are not dated, so it was weird to relive those letters and experiences in those letters out of order. Trips are planned, taken, shared, proposals followed by weddings, children being born. A lot has happened in the last 1.75 years.

That's all for now,

Jill

1 comment:

Lois said...

We think about you alot too and really hope to see you home soon!