Saturday, July 10, 2010

old post that I didn't put up

Incredibly brief update:

Not much happening around here except for a ton of rain.

I started a project to create catchbasins and an actual rainwater removal system. Most of the road around here are dirt. Those of you who have ever lived on a dirt road know how much a good rain can damage the road. Now imagine a good sized storm everyday- the roads are in pretty bad shape right now. I went and for some critical areas, did some measurements and the municipality might put in some storm drains. Who knows, it might just be a pipe dream.

Baseball last week was interesting. One kid brought a small soccer ball, so while waiting for more kids to show up, we started passing the ball. As more kids showed up I became goalie and they pretty much did corner kick drills. It was a lot of fun. Only four kids actually showed up, and after a while of soccer, we switched to baseball. We practiced throws, pop-ups, then I taught them how to bunt. That was a little hard to explain especially considering the new kids who have now batted three times in their life.

I just had such a good time playing with the kids. What am I going to do in the states to match that? My nephew is several years away from being able to play catch or soccer with his aunt. If I tried to play with kids in a park I would be considered a predator. There is always little league sports but who wants to deal with crazy parents?

There was an inspirational concert the other night. Basically, these singers that would never make it on the big stage are put into this concert and the message is to live more peaceful lives, without violence, and preventing teen pregnancy. It was ok, not something I would go to again, but for one night it was fine. Walking home afterward there was a group of guys smoking, well, not tobacco. Great job, a concert to get away from things like drugs and you smoke up a doobie right afterwards. Then they didn’t get it when S and I weren’t interested in them. Shocking.

I did a day of translating, and was very happy with how that went. The Episcopal church has missionaries here end a water ministry that has well drilling machinery. Well, when they go into a town to put a well in, they have a class on water hygiene and health. While they have trained and hired Hondurans to help them there is still a woman that comes down from the states to do it and she doesn’t speak Spanish, so I helped her out. I thought what they had done was good. She gave me a large bag of hersheys kisses as a thanks which thoroughly enjoyed.

That morning I woke up to a Seca emergency. I get out of bed and Seca was being more clingy than normal. I pushed her off and started going about my business. A few minutes later I look down and her face was HUGE!!!! She must have tried to eat a bee or hornet and got stung. I didn’t even think I ran to my med kit and got out the Benadryl and shoved one down her throat. She was acting normal and she ate fine although her mouth was huge and her eyes were almost completely swollen shut. I ended up giving her another Benadryl and when I was satisfied the swelling was going down I left to do the translating, I did get distracted several times during the course of the day hoping that she was fine. No lasting side effects. I wasn’t even around to see if she got doped up on the meds.

Ok, so I did something stupid. I was making pizza and it came time to take it out of the oven, and I could only find one oven mitt, so I put it on my right hand and started to take it out. Well, my pizza tray is wider than my oven so the tray has to go in at a bit of an angle. I tried to take it out and it started to rotate, and yep I did the dumb thing I reached out with my free hand to stabilize it. Burned a few fingers but good. I couldn’t immediately treat it though because the pizza slid off the tray and onto to heat coil things at the bottom of the oven and caught on fire. I was worried I was going to burn my house down for a minute. However good sense returned and I grabbed a towel to protect my left hand and put the pizza on the tray again and took it out of the oven. Then I put the blistering fingers in water. So, now I sit typing this with one hand because the left hand is wrapped around ice. Does this type of stuff happen to other people? Or is it just me?

No comments: