Tuesday, November 10, 2009

long overdue update

Visiting Tegucigalpa

Now, I tend to try and stay out of the capitol, I am a country girl, not a city person. I occasionally have to go in or pass through though, which usually does not make me happy. Yesterday was one such day. Now, through some kind of luck, I found out a missionary friend in the next town was going to Teguc (short for Tegucigalpa) and about at the same time I wanted to leave (T had to go in as well). So, although my town has a ton of buses coming in and out, the buses leaving aren’t really on a schedule, its just about every 20 minutes, but you can never know when one will pass by, just that if you wait, another one will pass. So, although the next town is 18km away, I got to the bus station at 6:15am to make sure I was in the next town by 7am. Well, bus didn’t show up until 6:30am. Problem: The buses make a lot of stops. Even at that early hour there were people going to work and to school. I called the woman to let her know we would be a touch late. Now, with a Honduran, I wouldn’t have done so, which is not to be rude, but the Honduran would have left 30 to 60 minutes late anyhow. It was fine with her though, she understands how the buses work. The ride to Teguc was relaxed, with a bunch of talking in the car.

We get a ride to near where we are going, and get out and get a cab. Now, in this area there are a lot of streets blocked off because it is near the Brazilian Embassy and that is where the ex-President is still hanging out, so we didn’t know if it would be a problem getting around this area or not. Turns out it was fine.

I do what I need to in the office. The fun comes when it is time to leave. I left rather early because I didn’t have anything to do in the office. I got my med appointment done (routine stuff, no health problems) and then talked and cruised the internet. Now, a year ago I could spend an hour online, no problem, but I have accustomed myself to getting on and off fast to pay less (NOTE: this is not said to exclude emails, I don’t mind spending a tiny bit of money to read emails- if its long, I can save it and read later at home). I go outside and catch a cab to my bus. Now, I explained to the guy when negotiating a price (cabs are not paid by the distance or time here, it’s a negotiation process before you actually get in the cab) and tell him the market where most of the buses are. Well, once I agreed on the price, I got in, and then explain I actually want to get out on the other side of the street, because that is where my bus is. He is like the market (where most of the buses leave) and I say the other side of the street: that is where my bus leaves from. Well, we are cruising along, and pass my bus. At this point I figure I am getting dropped off on the side where the market is, and I guess right. The guy was like here: and I answered no, the other side. Then he told me I didn’t tell him that. Apparently he wasn’t listening the three times I said across the street from the market. Then I have to cross this major street filled with crazy Honduran drivers (think Boston drivers on a particularly aggressive day). A ton of cabs slow down thinking me standing on the side of the road means I need a cab. Traffic was just not dying down or creating a small hole for me to run to the median. There was another woman in the median trying to get to my side of the street. Then, these two women just go for it, and I quickly join them thinking that was probably my only chance to cross. Drivers were not so happy to see the three of us jumping into the road while they were trying to speed by.

Well, I go in and buy my ticket from the nice ladies at the bus ticket place. I have a habit of just forking over my ID when asked for my name; it’s just easier that way. My mother clearly didn’t get a good psychic reading saying I needed a latina name before I was born! I try to get on the bus (think very large van more than bus- I travel first class- chicken buses take WAY too long) and these women are just blocking the stairs. Clearly I am trying to get on the bus, but they don’t move their oversized bottoms to get out of my way. Then, once they move out of my way (more because they want to go off and buy something than are being courteous) another woman in their party refuses to let me pass her in the aisle. She told me the seats by her were saved and pointed to a seat with one guy already there. I then pointed out there were empty rows behind her and I preferred those. That got her to move.

Anyways, I ended up getting the shaft on the seat anyways. I wanted a row that had only one seat, and the only one of those left was one that had the wheel hump. Well, I thought, that is not too bad I can just stick my feet in the aisle. NOT. But for some reason a kid (15-20 year old male) decides that instead of taking the remaining seat in the back, he will put down the middle seat in my row which folds down over the aisle, meaning my legs get cramped up on the wheel hump. I therefore start a battle over the arm rest (battle is only in my head). I am now cramped because this kid made a bad decision, so I at least get the arm rest. Eventually I accidently move my arm away from the rest and the kid has fallen asleep with his arm on the rest! At first I am like, whatever. Then he starts sliding in his sleep and his elbow is now an inch or two over the rest. Imagine my long legs up to my chin because of the wheel hump, my bag which has several books in it also taking up what little precious space I have, and now this kid has his elbow in my space. Now, I really did try to be nice. I knew he had just fallen asleep, there were no cruel intentions. But I take up more than 2 cubic feet! I start my battle for the arm rest. After a little shove, the kids elbow moves and he readjusts and I quickly move in to recover the stolen prize. We only had 25 minutes left, and after 5 he moved to a seat that had become available because someone had gotten off. I really did try to be nice.

And, it turns out that my family had papusas (food of the Gods) while I was away. They knew I was going to be away, and had told me the day before that they would instead make them for dinner since I would be gone during the day. They lied. I had to reheat two, which A is not enough, and B is not even close to the goodness of fresh papusas.

That was my day. This is why traveling to the capitol just isn’t a pleasant experience. And I got a ride on the way there which eliminated half of the battle.

No comments: