Friday, November 20, 2009

puppy updates

Well, this week has had ups and downs withe the puppy. At first I was putting the puppy in a room in my office at night. She cried all night for a few days, than one day she didn't. It turns out she got herself out of the room, and pooped everywhere. Later I shut her in a lockable bathroom. She started to cry less and less, which was good.

For a while there, it was rough. I almost got rid of her.

She is weird, she doesn't like to leave the office. So one day i left her roaming around outside. She did well so I made the decision to let her spend the night outside (there are a lot of protected places for her outside). Then I spent the night worrying what she chew. She did fine.

The funny thing is that she stays with me all the time. So when i am working outside (there is a desk on the patio) she plays by herself, and she steps off the patio and onto the grass to go to the bathroom. But when I work inside (wind plays havoc on loose papers) she sleeps by my feet and goes to the bathroom in the corner. I got to get her better trained on that one.

She is getting good at playing with her toy. She is a puppy and eating everything, or at least trying to eat my pants while I am wearing them.

She is still really shy with people. It is funny, I take her on at least two walks per day. For a little while I did one of the walks without the leash because she really stays that close to me, but she got adventurous this morning , and almost got run over, so now she has to be on a leash. She really doesn't like to leave the office though. I have to carry her out of the door.

Other things in my life: Work is busy, I am helping a friend write a manual on how to train water boards, in every aspect, administration and environmental education, etc. I have some ideas on other projects, which should be starting soon. Life is pretty nice.

Oh, so I calculated it today. I get paid $309 a month. That wont pay rent anywhere in the states. I am considered rich here, for that much, although I think people think I am paid a normal states wage, or something more than $3700 a year. For that little, you don't even have to pay taxes. During my site visit my volunteer told me she made more money in the month of january than the rest of the year combined. I can see how that might be possible.

Take care,

Jill

1 comment:

Lois said...

I would think you've watched enough Dog Whisperer to figure this out! Get some training treats. Show her the treat when you show her the leash or go to the door to go outside. When she comes to you give her one.

When she wakes up from a nap inside, immediately get her to the door. Give her a treat again. When she goes to the bathroom outside this time, give her another treat. When she goes to the bathroom indoors, bring her to it, stick her nose in it and say No. Then put her outdoors.

With puppies you have to pay attention, they don't learn on their own.